Today, I’m excited to be joining some other talented bloggers in a $100 One Room Challenge. We each picked a room in our homes, and did a makeover of it for under $100! Which is not a lot of money, but it’s very doable with a little creativity and re-purposing
I decided to do a makeover one of our bedrooms. This bedroom was my son’s while he was growing up, and now it’s the room that our granddaughter sleeps in when she stays with us. It was pretty blah and boring to start with.
We already had the furniture and some of the bedding, and we also had a headboard stored in a closet that I could use for the room. I painted the room a couple of years ago during our renovation. It’s a nice neutral that goes with everything, so it stayed.
Some of the things that I knew I wanted to add to the room were a dust ruffle, window treatments, wall art, pillows and accessories. I also knew that I wanted to paint the bedroom furniture, including the headboard. A big wish list, and not a lot of money to do it with!
My inspiration for the room was a pillow that I made a couple of years ago. My grand daughter loves this pillow, so it was a great starting point for the makeover. Luckily, I had some scraps of fabric left, and some that coordinated with it in my fabric stash.
I created a video for you, and included some pictures of the room below-
This bedroom has gone from blah and boring to bright and fun!
My biggest expense for the room was the Ikea drapery panels that are under the valance. I had a leftover panel from when I made our living room valances, so I was able to use it for the pleated valance. The inexpensive pink ribbon really added a pop of color!
The wall art above the bed I made out of scraps of fabric and embroidery hoops that I painted white.
The butterfly wall art is almost all re-purposed things I already had. The wings for the butterflies are slices of tree limbs, and the background is made from our old deck boards. I even made the frame (my first attempt at mitered corners) out of leftover trim and boards we had in the garage. The only thing I had to buy was the pink craft paint for the pink butterflies, I had all of the other paints.
The Create and Inspire pictures were made from things I already had, except for the foam pouncer I used to create the painted dots.
The last piece I made for the walls was made with a scrap of fabric and a frame and mat that I painted.
I made the dust ruffle out of leftover blackout lining.
I sewed inexpensive ribbon to the white sheets we had, and made a cute pillow out of the fabric scraps.
The only accessory that I bought was the flowers for the dresser and nightstand.
The biggest change I made to the room was painting all of the furniture white. I love how bright the room is now! I had the paint leftover from other painting projects. The knobs I already had too. I bought a ton of knobs when we did our home renovation a couple of years ago, and I was going to use these on the set of furniture in our bedroom. I decided to go with black knobs and handles in our bedroom instead, so I had these to use in this room.
You can find the tutorial in my How To Paint Furniture post.
So, how much money did I end up spending? (Whenever I could, I bought items on sale or had a coupon.)
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I will earn a small commission. The great thing is, it won’t cost you a penny more! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- Ikea Ritva drapery panels – $39.99
- Drapery lining for panels – $13.75
- Flowers – $11.98
- Narrow pink ribbon for sheets – $1.49
- Wide pink ribbon for valance – $2.99
- Embroidery hoops – $20.79
- Pink acrylic craft paint – $1.69
- Pink thread – $1.19
- Foam Pouncers – $3.60
For a grand total of $97.47!
I hope you’ve enjoyed this tour of our $100 room makeover! Stay tuned for step-by-step tutorials for many of the projects made for the room.