Day 5 was a good day. I felt good, and wasn’t very hungry. I still wanted to chew real food instead of drink it, but I kept thinking it’s just one more day.
The good thing is that I was craving healthy food – like a good salad and delicious olive hummus. That’s one of the things that I hoped doing the 5 day fast would help with. Re-train my taste buds to want healthier foods.
You can download the 5 day all juice plan that we used from Joe Cross’s website – Reboot With Joe. He’s the one that did the 60 day juice fast and did a documentary about it a few years ago. His story is amazing. I highly recommend watching his 2 documentaries – Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead – Part 1 & Part 2. You can find both on Netflix.
Some of you have asked about the calorie count of the different juices. If you download the plan, it gives the calories for each juice. For instance, the breakfast juice that we drank had apples, carrots and lemons in it. It’s 188 calories according to the recipe plan. One thing I noticed though, there’s a big difference in the size of produce. So, you may be getting more or less calories.
The total daily calorie count is around 1200 calories. I lost 4 pounds, and my husband lost 5.6 pounds. Some of this may come back when we start eating real food again.
I added up our grocery receipts for the 5 days of fruits, veggies, coconut water and herbal tea. It came out to $18.35/person for each day for 5 days. I did buy some organic fruits and vegetables, so that was a little more expensive. I didn’t buy our usual groceries though, and we probably would have gone out to eat 2 or 3 times during that time too. Though my husband says it would have been a lot more fun to eat our regular groceries and go out to eat!
We both liked the taste of the different juices, even the green one that has kale, celery, cucumbers, apples, lemons and ginger in it.
I’m really glad that we did the juice fast. I feel really good – much less brain fog and more energetic. We could have continued for another few days, but 5 days was long enough for me! We’re going to drink one juice every morning, and we’re planning on doing another juice fast this fall.
Tips for doing a juice fast:
Here are some tips that I would give you if you decide to do a juice fast.
- Check with your doctor if you have a medical condition before you do a juice fast.
- Have some kind of support system. If you’re doing the fast by yourself, there are forums on Joe’s website where you can ask questions or just commiserate with someone else who’s going through the same thing. I’m sure I would have quit on day 3 if it wasn’t for my husband cheering me on!
- Be patient with learning how to use the juicer. There is a learning curve! Make sure to read the owner’s manual. We have a Breville juicer, and I called Breville on day 5 (they were closed days 2-4 for the holiday week end). I called them because I was getting the hang of the juicer, but still had some questions. The person that I spoke with was very helpful, and gave me some good tips that weren’t in the owners manual. I’m happy with the juicer that we picked. The juice jug was the perfect size to hold the two 16 oz. servings that I needed to juice for both my husband and I for each meal.
- Make sure that you thoroughly clean the micro mesh filter basket. I have talked about this before. The tiny holes in the mesh get clogged very easily, and then you don’t get as much juice from your fruits and veggies. A scrub brush does come with the juicer, so that was helpful. After every juicing, I soaked the mesh basket for 10-20 minutes in very hot soapy water before washing it. The customer service person at Breville said to use a paste of baking soda and white vinegar for any parts of the mesh that have become plugged. Srubbing both sides of the basket with the brush. She also recommended every once in a while to soak the basket overnight in white vinegar, and then use the brush to clean it.
- Prep all of the fruits and vegetable ahead of time. I would get up every morning and wash the produce that I could for the whole day. I didn’t pre-wash the blueberries, but everything else I did pre-wash. I cut up and peeled what I could ahead of time too, like the pineapple, ginger and lemons. I stored them in plastic bags until we were ready to use them. I also took the recipes that we used each day and wrote out how many total of each fruit and veggie we would need for the day – for instance, 6 lemons, 5 carrots or 16 celery stalks. This made it easier for me to clean just what I needed to for that day.
- Don’t try to juice two meals for two people, or 4 servings, all at the same time. I learned this on day one. I thought I would be smart and juice all of our green juice at once. (2 servings for lunch and 2 servings for dinner). The mesh filter got clogged and the motor wasn’t happy. I went back to just doing one meal and then cleaning everything out, and doing a second meal later to store in the refrigerator.
Well that ends our 5 day juice fast series! Thanks for sticking with me during the 5 days! It really did help knowing that I would have to report back to all of you each day.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
What do you think – are you up for doing a juice fast!