This DIY Curtains video series will help you sew your own curtains! A very detailed, 9 part, sewing tutorial that will walk you through each step.
When my husband and I were first married, money was tight. It certainly wasn’t in our budget to have someone else make home decor items for our home. So, I sewed all of the valances, bedding and pillows that finished off our rooms.
But, the one sewing project I never had the nerve to tackle was sewing drapery panels or curtains for our windows, and like I said, we couldn’t afford to hire someone to make them. I would’ve loved to have been able to watch a video course about how to make draperies!
That’s why I’ve created this DIY Curtains video tutorial series!
Making your own draperies is a great way to save money! You can choose the fabrics that you love, and because you sew the draperies yourself they will fit your windows exactly.
That’s two of the most frustrating things about trying to buy pre-made draperies in a store or on-line. You will have a very limited choice of fabrics, and chances are the draperies or curtains won’t fit your windows correctly. They’re usually too short or too long, and may not be wide enough if you want them to open and close.
Over the past 17 years of having my home decor business, I’ve sewn many drapery panels for my clients’ windows. Along the way, I learned lots of tips and tricks for how to make drapery panels easier and faster, and I want to share them with you!
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Materials and Supplies Needed –
• 54″ wide decorator fabric
• 54″ wide drapery lining
• 4″ buckrum
• Thread to match fabric for sewing machine
• Hand quilting thread to match fabric for hand sewing
• Fabric glue
• Drapery Weights
• Drapery hooks
• Screw eyes
• Drapery hardware – poles with rings or traverse rod
• Steel tape measure
• Scissors – Large
•.Scissors – Small
•.Hand sewing needle
DIY Curtains Instructions –
I’ve created 9 videos that will walk you through each step of sewing your own curtains or draperies. Click on the button just below to download all of the forms needed for this sewing project.
- Part One – How To Measure Windows
- Part Two – Figuring Fabric Yardages
- Part Three – Cutting and Seaming Fabrics
- Part Four – Figuring Pleats and Spaces
- Part Five – How To Hem Curtains
- Part Six – Figuring Lining Yardages
- Part Seven – Tabling Panels
- Part Eight – Sewing The Pleats
- Part Nine – How To Fan Fold and Hang Panels