Recently, I shared a tutorial for how to make a flanged pillow. While I liked the plain pink pillow, I decided it needed a little extra pizzazz. Today I’m sharing how I added an overlay to the flanged pillow.
Here’s the plain flanged pillow. Nice, but I knew by adding a couple of extra details, it could be wow!
I made this pillow to put in one of our guest bedrooms. Our grand daughter loves it so much that I decided to use it as the inspiration for the $100 Room Makeover I did with some blogging friends a few months ago.
Adding an overlay to a flanged pillow is fairly easy to do, and it’s a great way to add a second or third fabric to your pillow and room. You could do this for ready-made flanged pillows too, to make them more custom with additional fabrics.
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Flanged Pillow With An Overlay
Flanged pillow cover
Fabric for overlay – amount needed depends on the size of your flanged pillow
Fabric for cording
Thread to match fabric
Interlining – this is a flannel lining
1. Cut out the fabric for the overlay. The area that I wanted to cover for my pillow was 17 5/8″ wide by 13 5/8″ long.
2. Make enough cording to go around your overlay. ( I needed about 75″ of cording.) You can find instructions for how to make cording here.
3. Sew the cording around the edges of your overlay fabric. You can find instructions and a video for how to sew cording onto fabric here.
4. Clip the corners.
5. Iron the seam allowances in toward the face fabric on the reverse side.
6. Place a piece of interlining that is a little bit bigger than your face fabric onto the reverse side of the fabric.
7. Trim the interlining so that it is just smaller that your face fabric, and so that it lays nicely under the seams.
8. Pin the overlay fabric to the flanged pillow, face side up.
9. Using a zipper foot, stitch in the ditch between the coring and face fabric. Going through all of the layers.
10. Insert your pillow form, and your done!
So, what do you think overlay or no overlay?
You might also like:
I’m sharing here: