Recently, I shared with you how to make a pillow, but in that post I didn’t go into the different ways to close a pillow once you’ve made the cover and inserted the pillow form. There are several ways to close a pillow – you can machine stitch the bottom edges closed, insert a zipper, or you can use my favorite method – hand sew a pillow closed using a ladder stitch. That’s the method I’ll be sharing with you today.
Be sure to check out our popular How To Make Pillows page for over 25 pillow ideas, tips & techniques.
Sewing notions that I like to use for hand-sewing: (List includes affiliate links, view my disclosure here.)
Pillow form – I really like Fairfield’s Soft Touch polyester forms
Dual Duty Plus Hand Quilting thread that matches fabric
Hand-sewing needle – John James Long Darners #7
Leather thimble from Clover
Sewing kit – This is a great little sewing kit that has everything you need to hand-sew your pillow closed, and would be useful to have while traveling.
How To Hand Sew A Pillow Closed
Here’s a short video I did showing how to hand sew a pillow closed using the ladder stitch. Written instructions are below the video.
Written instructions –
1) Before hand sewing a pillow closed, I recommend serging the bottom edges of the pillow. This will help keep the edges of the fabric from fraying.
2) After serging the bottom edges, sew a stitching line 3/8″ away from edges of fabric along the bottom side. This will give you a good guideline for making your 1/2″ fold/seam allowance.
3) Starting at the right side of the pillow – take a small stitch on one side of the fabric. Then take another stitch directly across on the other side of the pillow.
4) Continue on across the bottom edge of the pillow from right to left.
5) When you get to the left side of the pillow, make a knot.
Here you can see the bottom of the finished pillow closed with the ladder stitch. The ladder stitch really does make a nice closure for the pillow. Hard to tell that it isn’t a regular machine-stitched seam.
I hope you’ve enjoyed my how to hand-sew a pillow closed tutorial!
If you loved this pillow tutorial, you’ll love these pillow tutorials too:
I’m joining these parties.