Learn how to make a velvet pumpkin with these step-by-step video instructions. These pumpkins are cute, and very easy to make yourself!
I’ve been noticing cute velvet pumpkins in the stores and on-line the last couple of years, but haven’t bought any because they can be expensive. I always think to myself – I can make that!
Recently I did figure out how to make them, so today I’m sharing my how to make a velvet pumpkin video tutorial, so you can make your own too!
How To Make A Velvet Pumpkin
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Materials needed to make a velvet pumpkin:
Hot glue gun
Dry rice or beans
Round objects to make your circles – plates, bowls or even pizza pans. My 3 sizes are 10″, 12 1/2″ and 15″ in diameter.
Stem – I saved stems from last year’s pumpkins. You can also ask at a pumpkin farm, or use stems from butternut or acorn squash.
I’ve created a video showing the steps for how to make a velvet pumpkin, and have also written out the steps below:
- Cut out your circle shape.
- Thread needle and knot double strand.
- Hand sew a basting stitch all the way around the circle of fabric. Gather up fabric.
- Place 1/4 cup of rice or beans in the bottom of the pumpkin.
- Fill the pumpkin with polyfill.
- Tighten basting stitches to close the pumpkin.
- Make a couple of stitches across the opening to help close it.
- Take a stitch to the bottom of the pumpkin and back up to the top. Knot your thread.
- Hot glue the stem onto the pumpkin. Covering the opening and stitches.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this tutorial for how to make a velvet pumpkin!
You might also enjoy these sewing tutorials:
Pin for later!