Learn how to sew a zipper in a pillow cover! This step-by-step video tutorial will help you conquer your fears about how to sew a zipper into your pillows!
Recently, I shared a tutorial for how to sew an envelope pillow cover. (You can find that tutorial HERE). It’s a very easy way to sew a pillow cover that is easy to take on and off.
Today, I want to share another easy way to create a pillow cover that is easy to take on and off. A pillow cover with a zipper.
I know, it might seem a little scary to try to insert a zipper into a pillow cover. But, it’s really not that hard or scary when you get right down to it.
I promise, with this tutorial, you’ll be making pillows with zippers for every room in your home! So, let’s get started!
How To Sew A Zipper For A Pillow Cover
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Fabric – This is one of my favorite places to get fabric!
Scissors – large
Scissors – small
That Purple Thang
I’ve created a video that shows step-by-step how to sew a zipper into a pillow cover. The written instructions are below the video, if you’d like to follow along with the video.
- Cut out 2 pieces of fabric the same size as your pillow form.
- Serge or zigzag around all 4 sides of both pieces of fabric to prevent fraying.
- Put the right sides of fabric together, and pin the bottom edges.
- Sew 2 1/2″ with a medium stitch length for the first part of the seam.
- Then change sewing machine setting to a long stitch length, and sew the seam until 2 1/2″ from other end of fabric.
- Change sewing machine settings to a medium stitch length, and sew the rest of the bottom seam.
- Finger press or iron bottom seam open.
- Lay the zipper face down and sew around all 4 sides of the zipper using a zipper foot.
- Rip out the basting (long) stitches.
- Open zipper slightly.
- With a regular foot, and starting at the corner by the zipper, sew around the other 3 sides of the fabrics.
- Cut the corners on the diagonal.
- Turn the pillow right side out. Push out the corners.
- Insert pillow form.
I hope you’ve enjoyed this how to sew a zipper for a pillow tutorial!