A couple of weeks ago, I shared our new white kitchen with all of you. I received a lot of nice comments about our kitchen (thank you!), and also lots of questions about the countertops. So today, I’ll explain why we chose Corian (solid-surface) countertops for our kitchen.
There are many great countertop choices for kitchens these days. Laminate countertops are economical, and there are some decent looking options now. Granite and quartz (engineered stone) countertops are both very popular right now. Concrete and stainless steel are a couple more options.
Each of these choices have their pros and cons, but my favorite countertop choice is Corian. (This is not a sponsered post, I’m not getting paid to talk about how much I like Corian countertops. Just letting you know why I like them so much!)
I have loved the look and feel of Corian countertops for a long time. Some of the things that I love about them are:
- They have a matte finish – unlike the shiny finish that granite or quartz countertops have.
- I love that solid-surface countertops are seamless, or can be made to look seamless. I like that the countertop and sinks are made as one piece. The sinks for granite and quartz counter tops are usually undermounted.
- They are non-porous and are fairly stain resistant. If the countertop does get stained, it’s easily cleaned with Comet or Barkeeper’s Friend.
- They don’t feel as cold and hard as granite or quartz.
- They are repairable if they get a scratch or chip.
The one down-side to Corian countertops is that they aren’t heat-resistant. If you place a hot pan on the countertop, it can burn it. Since I’ve always had laminate countertops, and I’ve never put hot pots or pans directly on the countertop, that wasn’t a big deal to me.
The Corian pattern that we picked out is Rain Cloud.
I love that it looks like Carrara marble, but is much more practical and less expensive than marble.
We love the new countertops!
What is your favorite type of countertop?
Here’s what we changed in the kitchen (and the posts with further details):
I’m joining these parties!