The knife pleat ruffle is one of my favorite embellishments, and can be used to add detail to a lot of things, including pillows, valances, draperies or clothing. It looks tricky to make, and while it can be time-consuming to sew, it really isn’t that hard make these ruffles. I’ll show you how easy it is with this step-by-step tutorial.
Be sure to check out our popular How To Make Pillows page for over 25 pillow ideas, tips & techniques.
Knife Pleat Ruffle
Before we go into how to make the knife pleat ruffle, I’m going to show you a few ways that I have used it. This first example is a valance that has a knife pleat ruffle along the bottom edge.
These euro shams are embellished with knife pleat ruffles.
I used a knife pleat ruffle detail along the bottom edge of this sundress. You can read about it here.
How To Make A Knife Pleat Ruffle
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I will earn a small commission. The great thing is, it won’t cost you a penny more! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Materials Needed: CLICK ON LINKS TO SEE PRODUCTS
For this example, we are going to make a 1″ ruffle that will be 10″ long. Make sure to add a little extra to your finished length.
- Figure out how long the finished knife pleat ruffle needs to be for your project.
- To find the length of fabric needed for your ruffle, take the finished length of the ruffle and multiply it by 3. Example – 10″ x 3 = 30″.
- To figure how wide to cut your strip of fabric – take the ruffle width and multiply it by 3. Example – 1″ x 3 = 3″.
- For our example we will cut out a strip of fabric that is 3″ x 30″.
- If needed, sew several strips together to get desired length.
- Fold and press fabric strip in half.
- Serge the raw edges together.
- The last step to making a knife pleat ruffle is to pleat the fabric strip. It will be easier to understand the process if you can see it being done, so I’ve created this video to walk you through the pleating process.
If you would like to see how I used this pink knife pleat ruffle, check out the How To Make A Pillow With A Knife Pleat Ruffle post.
I hope you enjoyed this knife pleat ruffle tutorial. If you add this ruffle to your sewing projects, please share, I would love to see them!