As you know, I like pillows – a lot. Today, I’m excited to share with you how to make a shirt pillow. This is a quick and simple sewing project, and can be a very economical way to change the look of your room. Especially if you use a shirt that you already have around the house. Or, you can also buy men’s dress shirts very cheaply at your local Goodwill.
Be sure to check out our popular How To Make Pillows page for over 25 pillow ideas, tips & techniques.
As well as a great quick and easy sewing project, I’ve also seen people make these shirt pillows out of shirts that belonged to a loved one who has passed away. This is such a great way to remember someone.
One of the great benefits to using a button up dress shirt is that you don’t have to worry about hand stitching your pillow closed or inserting a zipper into the pillow cover. The buttons and button holes are your closure! So quick and easy!
How To Make A Shirt Pillow
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Men’s button up dress shirt
Pillow form – I used an 18″ x 18″ pillow form
Large piece of cardboard or paper to make a pattern – I like to make my pattern same size as the pillow form
That Purple Thang – tool used to turn corners
I’ve created a quick video tutorial for how to make a shirt pillow, and I’ve also written out the step-by-step instructions too.
1) Lay out the shirt with the front side up, and lay the pattern piece where you would like on the shirt. Making sure to center the buttons.
2) With the fabric marker, trace around the pattern piece onto the shirt.
3) Cut out both layers of shirt (front and back).
4) Place the front on top of the back with right sides together and pin in place.
5) Sew around all 4 sides of the pillow using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
6) Clip your corners and turn pillow cover right side out.
7) Insert pillow form and button closure together.
Enjoy your new pillow!
More How To Make Pillows posts:
I’m joining these parties!