If any of you have a sewing studio/craft room, you know how hard it is to keep things organized! I am the type of person, (maybe a little obsessive-compulsive?), who likes to know where everything is. You know the saying – “A place for everything, and everything in it’s place”. That’s me. I have so many tools, supplies and materials, used everyday, that I had to find good way to organize them, or I would go crazy! So here are 5 of my organizing tips for a sewing studio. Now, I know my sewing space is a little bit different than most, because I use it for my business, but hopefully you can use some of these tips to organize your sewing studio or craft room.
Five Ways To Organize Your Sewing Studio
1) Pegboard Walls – I know this may not be an option for everyone’s space, but if you can put even a little bit of pegboard up on a wall, it will be worth it, trust me. This is probably my biggest time saving tool in my studio. I love being able to hang all sorts of tools and sewing supplies on the pegboard, and I can see at a glance where something is.
2) Magnetic Knife Holder – I read about this idea quite a few years ago, and just loved it! These are magnetic knife holders that you can buy for your kitchen. I bought mine a few years ago, on-line, at a kitchen gadget type store. Sorry, I don’t remember what the name of it was. I use mine to hold my sewing machine feet, scissors, tweezers, etc. They would also be great to hold bobbins. Mine are mounted right next to my sewing machine, and make it so easy to quickly grab what I need.
3) Fabric Storage Tubes – I know that most of you may not have the need to store rolls of fabric, but you could use these tubes for wrapping paper or probably a lot other things that I can’t think of right now! You can get them at home improvement stores. They are meant to be molds for making concrete pillars, but they work great for helping me keep my fabrics and linings organized under my table. Before, whenever I needed a certain fabric, which was usually of the bottom of the pile, I had had to pull and tug to get it out. With these tubes it is very simple to get any fabric or lining out from under the table.
4) Storage carts – These rolling carts with drawers are great for keeping track of sewing supplies. I have several of them in my sewing studio. This one is used for my roman shade supplies, and I have labeled the different drawers to make it easy to find the right part.
5) Binders – I love binders! They are so useful for keeping all kinds of things organized – my blog planner, inspiration pictures, clients projects, vendors’ catalogs, and much more. Below you can see one of my vendor’s binders. I’m using a clear pencil holder made for binders to hold my drapery pole samples.
Do you have some great organizing ideas to share? I would love to hear them!
I’m joining these parties!