Our laundry room is small, in fact, it’s not really a room so much as a closet. It’s only 59″ wide x 55″ deep. There’s not room for a lot of extras, and every square inch of space needs to be utilized wisely. Today, I’m going to share how organizing a small laundry room can help make doing laundry more efficient and hopefully a little less of a chore!
*At the end of this post is a source list of items to organize a small laundry room.
Organizing A Small Laundry Room
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I will earn a small commission. The great thing is, it won’t cost you a penny more! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Here are some tips for organizing if you have a small laundry room too:
- Try to utilize all vertical space that you can. If you have a lot of wall space above your washer and dryer, try installing inexpensive cabinets that will give you a lot more storage. If you like open shelves instead, consider installing open shelves from the ceiling down. Use that vertical wall space! I haven’t used them myself, but I’ve heard good things about Elfa shelving units.
- Group similar items on the shelves. All of our laundry items are on the bottom cabinet shelf above the washing machine, except for dryer sheets which are above the dryer. The other items in the cabinets are grouped together too. All of our rags are together, and the same with the cleaning supplies.
- Group small items in baskets. I have a lot of rags in different sizes. (Tip: I take old bath towels and cut them up into small and medium sizes.) I roll them up and put them in white plastic baskets according to their size ( all small rags in one basket, etc.). That way I can grab a basket, and pull out one rag that’s the right size.
- If you’re short like me, it’s a great idea to have a small step stool in the laundry room for reaching the top shelves in the cabinets.
- Sort your clothes in another room. Preferably where your clothes hamper is. Because our laundry room is very small we don’t sort our clothes in the laundry room. We sort them in our bedroom, close to the closet where our hampers are. We only have one laundry basket, instead of one for whites, one for dark clothes, etc. We keep the laundry basket on the floor in front of the dryer. Once a load is dry, we put it in the laundry basket, fold the laundry then put it away.
- Use your washer and dryer as a folding counter. We don’t have enough room for a folding counter in our small laundry room, so we either fold laundry on top of the washer and dryer, or we fold the clothes in our bedroom on the bed – which is close to our closet.
- If you have the wall space, hang an iron and ironing board holder on one of the laundry room walls. If we wanted to, we do have room to hang the iron and ironing board on one of the walls, but I iron any clothes that need ironed in my sewing studio. So, we don’t store an iron and ironing board in our laundry room.
- If you have a small laundry room, try an over-the-door valet rod to hang wet clothes that you don’t want to hang in the dryer. You could also hang a pole suspended from the ceiling.
- We also added a shelf right above the washer and dryer. It’s both decorative and functional. I have laundry detergent in the glass canister, and more rags in the woven black basket.
Source List For Organizing A Small Laundry Room
I hope you’ve enjoyed these tips for organizing a small laundry room! Do you have a small laundry room? How have you organized it?
If you liked this organizing a small laundry room post, you might also enjoy these posts:
I’m joining these parties!