Recently I have been making pillows for my granddaughter’s bed. She’s still in a crib for now, but in the next few months will move to the double bed that’s already in her room. It’s so fun picking out the fabrics and pillow styles for her. I love this petals pillow style, and decided it would be a perfect to make for a little girl’s room.
Be sure to check out our popular How To Make Pillows page for over 25 pillow ideas, tips & techniques.
Materials needed: This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
- 3/4 yard of fabric – I used an outdoor fabric that has a lot of body, so that the petals would not be limp and floppy.
- 16″ X 12″ pillow form
- Thread to match fabric
- Fabric marker
- Glass head pins
1. Cut out front and back pieces at 16″ X 12″.
2. Cut out 160 circles for the petals. You can use a bottle that you have around the house. My circles are approximately 2″ in diameter. There are 32 flowers on the pillow, and 5 petals in each flower, so 160 petals are needed.
Here are all of the circles cut out. I found it easiest to keep all of the petals in a small box to keep them together during the different sewing phases.
3. Fold each petal in half, and sew and few angled stitches across one corner.
Here is a picture of the petal opened up after on corner has been sewn.
4. Mark the pillow front with dots where you would like the flowers to be. Here is a sketch of how I figured the flower placement for my 16″ X 12″ pillow.
Here is the pillow front with the dots marked with a fabric marking pen.
5. With each petal folded in half, place and sew first layer of petals. Just sew a few stitches where first stitches were sewn on petal corner. (Step 3)
6. Each flower has 5 petals, so continue sewing petals on the pillow front. One layer at a time. Each layer moves around in a circle, like a pin wheel. Make sure to unfold or open up the petal already sewn on before adding the next layer. Here is a picture of the second layer.
A completed flower with the 5 petals. After the 5th layer of petals is sewn on, unfold and finger press open this layer open.
7. With right sides together, sew pillow front to back. Clip corners, and insert pillow form.
Enjoy your cute new pillow!
I’m partying here!