Well, unfortunately, cold and flu season is here, and I caught a doozy of a cold this week while traveling. I’ve even lost my voice, which has been no fun and I’ll tell you more about that in a future post. Needless to say, I’ve been going through tissues like crazy, which reminded me that I’ve been wanting to share this quick and easy tissue holder with you.
Be sure to check out our popular Sewing Tutorials page for over 50 step-by-step sewing tutorials – many include detailed videos!
This project is so quick and simple to sew. Really, it only took a few minutes to make. If you wanted to make several of them, you could make them assembly line style and make them even quicker.
This tissue holder makes a great teacher’s gift or stocking stuffer. Who doesn’t carry tissues around in their purse or bag?
They also come in handy if you make them from the leftover scraps of a home decor project. You’ll always have your fabrics available in your purse if you need to match your fabrics when buying accessories or other items for the room.
The tissue holder is a great use for those little fabric scraps that are too small for most projects. I used some scraps from some pillows that I made.
Fabric for outside
Fabric or lining for inside
Fabric for cording (optional)
Small cord or string (optional)
1. Cut a 7″ wide x 6″ long rectangle from your face fabric.
2. Cut the same size rectangle of lining or inside fabric.
3. Make 12″ of small cording. I’ve written a post about how to make cording, if you’re unsure of how to make it. You can also skip this step and #4 and use a second fabric instead of lining for the inside of the tissue holder.
4. Sew cording onto the face side of the 6″ ends of fabric.
5. Sew lining to the face side of fabric on cording edges. (6″ edges)
6. Turn right sides out and press.
7. Fold cording edges so that they meet in the middle. Wrong sides out. Sew along the two end sides using a 1/2″ seam allowance. Serge ends so they don’t ravel. If you don’t have a serger, you can zig-zag or use pinking sheers on the ends.
8. Turn right side out and insert your tissues.
I hope you enjoyed my quick and easy tissue holder tutorial today!
If you loved this sewing tutorial, you’ll love these sewing tutorials too:
I’m joining these parties.