Do you struggle with how to put in a zipper for pillow with cording? Learn how with this detailed, step-by-step video tutorial. You won’t ever struggle with sewing a zipper in a pillow again!
Pillows are a great way to update any room in your home!
Pillows are a quick and easy way to update any room in your home! That’s why I love them! I also love making pillows. For our home and for my clients.
I also love to make pillows with cording around them. Cording adds such a nice custom touch to pillows. For years I made pillows with cording, (click here to see that tutorial), but I always hand-sewed them closed (click here to see that tutorial).
But, then I was stuck with that pillow cover on that pillow form. There was no easy way to change out the pillow cover.
That’s where this tutorial comes in. Today, I’m going to share how to put in a zipper for pillow with cording! Now you can have that custom corded pillow with a zipper!
How To Put In A Zipper For Pillow With Cording
This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience. Which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I will earn a small commission. The great thing is, it won’t cost you a penny more! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
Materials needed to put in a zipper for pillow with cording:
Fabric of your choice for pillow and cording – amount needed depends on the size of pillow.
Scissors – large
Scissors – small
I’ve created a detailed video tutorial to show you how to put in a zipper for pillow with cording. I’ve also written out the steps below the video for you to follow along.
- Cut out the front and back pieces of fabric for your pillow. Both pieces are cut the same size. I like to cut my fabric pieces the same size as my pillow form. For instance, if I’m making an 18″x18″ pillow, I would cut the fabric at 18″x18″. This makes for a pillow cover that’s not loose and baggy on the pillow form.
- Sew cording around all 4 sides of the front piece of fabric.
- Serge all 4 sides of the the front and back pieces of fabric. This will help to keep the fabric from fraying.
- Lay the front piece of fabric that you’ve just sewn the cording around face side up.
- Lay the back piece of fabric face side down on top of the front piece of fabric.
- Mark 2″ from each end of the bottom edge.
- Sew from end of fabric to the 2″ mark on each end of the bottom edges, using a 1/2″ seam allowance. Sewing the front and back sides together. Use a zipper foot, and a medium stitch length.
- Lay the zipper face side down on the cording. With the teeth of the zipper along the cording.
- Sew the zipper into place. Being sure to sew close to the zipper. The zipper needs to be partway open, and the zipper pull needs to be up.
- Pin the other side of the zipper to the back side of the pillow fabric, and then sew into place.
- To make the placket, pin the back side of the fabric next to the cording.
- Open the zipper.
- On the wrong side, sew along the zipper. Making sure to take the pins out as you sew.
- To finish the pillow: With right sides together, pin the other 3 sides of the pillow.
- Sew 3 sides together where pinned, using a 1/2″ seam allowance.
- Turn pillow right side out.
- Insert pillow form.
Yay! You’re done! That wasn’t so hard, was it?
I hope you’ve enjoyed this how to this how to put in a zipper for pillow with cording tutorial!